There are various ways in which you can earn extra income as a Dementia Prevention Education Specialist.
Some of these will vary somewhat depending on your primary occupation
10 Ways To Increase Profits as a Dementia Prevention Specialist
- As part of a Dementia Prevention Package you can sell better equipment at a greater profit. Seniors are more concerned about avoiding dementia than hearing loss. So, for example you can offer a $5000 Dementia Prevention package with the sale of a Premium hearing aid.
- You will be able to provide A Personalized Brain Fitness Program, for past patients and others with or without hearing aids, at a price of your choosing. See below.
- Provide classes on, How to Avoid Alzheimer’s, or Brain Heath and Fitness to senior communities, wherein you discuss the value of hearing aids. Thus increasing sales both of hearing aids and educational packages. Seniors are generally more interested in these topics than just hearing.
- Earn extra from the sale of books, supplements, videos, Monitoring devices, etc. (Included in the packages above.)
- You can teach a 4-6 week course on above noted topics. All those who have paid for one of your packages can attend, and any others for $60-$200 ea (or $30-50 a session). A Speech Therapist in CA is doing this at $80 ea with a long waiting list of people wanting to get in. We teach you how. If you have just 6 in a class at $100 ea that would be another $600. Or…
- Refer to online classes. If you find people who would like to go on a cruise or take a class online where we teach them you can earn up to $200 for each person who signs up. So if you get 4 of those in a month that’s an extra $800!
- Ongoing supplement sales following classes or programs provide $20-$60 residual or $240-$720 additional annual income per person!
- Receive additional referrals from medical centers and Costco as a Dementia Prevention Education Specialist.
- Pick up new Dementia Prevention clients from hearing screenings. This will also increase incentive to buy hearing aids.
- By being a part of Dr. Cox’s network you may receive additional referrals from Family Practice doctors in your area, and from the American Brain Council.
The Following is the Primary Plan that we suggest
The Personalized Dementia Risk Reduction Program
Processes and Procedures
Step 1. Client identification
Clients will be identified via 3 basic procedures
- Identified during initial intakes or treatment as having a memory issue or concern* The 15 Risk Factors survey will identify high risk individuals
* A verbal inquiry may also reveal a need
* See first lesson on Assessment
- Referred from another health care provider or agency
- Self refer – from advertising or word of mouth
Step 2. Invite to explore how they can reduce their risk.
Provide with information regarding
- Risk factors – how they increase risk
- Consequences of inaction
- Research showing risk can be reduced and most symptoms can be avoided or delayed or overcome with one or more of three interventions:
1. Self-study – with a book, DVD, etc. ~ 3% success
2. Attend classes* share ideas for implementation ~ 30%
3. Personalized coaching with follow-ups ~ 78% success
- See PowerPoint Presentation developed for this purpose in Lesson on Marketing Strategies(See Personalized Brain Fitness Program advert below)
Costs: See PBFP Itemized below
Home health care $40-65 per hour (no chance of improvement)
One month in assisted living $4000-6000 “ “ “
The Neurogrow Brain Fitness program in Virginia (featured in Aug Time)
Costs $6000 to $7000 for 3 mo/ Does not include supplements.
Your approx cost: **
For a 12 mo Personalized Brain Fitness program – $600-$800
The 12 month program is valued at $3495, you can sell it for less, or in divided 4 mo segments.
* Comprehensive Assessments for Risk and Cognitive abilities
* A Personalized Plan for Improving Brain Fitness
* Personal Guide workbook and binder
* A personal fitness tracking device
* Personalized Brain Training programs to improve auditory and visual processing, memory, and higher level functioning.
* Brain Wave Neurofeedback to improve Alpha waves and cortisol control
* Brain Function stimulator to improve processing speed and neuroplasticity
* 12 months of monitoring, coaching and encouragement shown to dramatically improve compliance and outcomes.
** Costs vary with program features and duration
Step 3. Conduct a more in-depth assessment
- Invite those with significant risk to fill out a more extensive 52 item risk assessment including medication, medical history, etc.
- Refer for relevant blood and other tests
- Conduct online or other cognitive assessments
Step 4. Develop a Risk Reduction Plan
- ID the most likely risk factors and strengths
- ID what the research shows regarding how these risks can be reduced or overcome (See chapter 3 in the Clinical Guide)
- Provide specific recommendations for diet and lifestyle changes.
- Provide behavioral recommendations to increase compliance.
Step 5. Present the Risk Reduction Plan
- Explain the critical parts of the plan
- Set up brain training schedule make sure they know how to access and understand training schedule.
- Provide basic supplements and schedule.
- Provide verbal cautions and recommendations as
noted in plan – for repetition and retention
- Invite and answer any questions
- Discuss what might prevent their progress and how these can be overcome – Failure Tree Analysis
- Set up follow-up on assessment plan
- Set up follow-up schedule for coaching
- Make sure they have your number and know to call any time they have questions
Step 6. Follow-up at appointed or appropriate times.
- Another follow-up by phone should be within 2 days
- Call again within a week to ensure they are on track, check to see if they have any questions, and to see if any additional supplements have arrived, and that they know when and how to use them.
- Coach should follow-up weekly for first month until next assessment.
- Follow up every 2 weeks for next 2 months
- Follow up monthly thereafter.
- Evals should be conducted every 2-3 months.
* Note in lieu of individual follow-ups group education sessions can be set up on Diet & Nutrition, Physical activity & sleep, Mental Activity & Memory Strategies, Stress Management & Social Interaction.
You may want to download the following files for future reference. Contact Dave Larsen or Dr. Cox at the American Brain Council (866-634-9880) for the most recent edition of this flyer/trifold.
Personalized Brain Fitness Program 2 flyer